Friday, August 5, 2016

Whatever! (Part 2)


Crossroads; L-R:  Zac, electric guitar; Mark, drums; me, vocals and percussion; Danny, lead vocals and guitar; Rob, bass

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

If you have followed Meditations of My Heart for a time now, you may recall that my word for the year is "whatever."  Yes, I know how flippant that sounds, but taken in the context of Paul's words quoted above, it has developed rich dimensions for me as the year has progressed.  You can read my original "Whatever!" post here.

When our praise band, Crossroads, gathers together in the choir room to rehearse before church one Sunday in January, Danny makes a random comment, which I can't recall at the moment, and Mark, our drummer, responds good-naturedly, "Whatever!"  Of course, we all laugh, even Danny, and I take that opportunity to share with the band why that is my word of the year.

"Whatever" becomes, at that moment, not just my word, but the buzzword for the entire group.  Though we still us it jokingly during Sunday morning rehearsals, we are cognizant of its deeper meaning:  "Whatever" happens, God has our backs.  He will see us through.

Recently, Danny and I are faced with a tough decision regarding the future of Crossroads.  Our mothers are getting up in years, and Danny's mom's health is declining.  Weekends are the only time we can visit either one of them.  With Sundays being taken up week after week with leading contemporary worship, this places constraints upon our flexibility.

We determine that it's time to leave.

After thirteen years of service to the church, this is a heart-wrenching decision for Danny, but he knows it's the right one to make.  The loss grieves us; there has been nothing more satisfying in our marriage than these precious times when we've had the honor to worship God together through the gifts of music He has so graciously given us.

As I ramble through my first churchless Sunday in I can't remember when, my heart is heavy and tears well unbidden.  Yet God, in His infinite mercy, brings to mind the words spoken by Maria (Julie Andrews) in The Sound of Music:  When God closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.

Danny and I have yet to see the window, but we know by faith it is there and waiting.

Just around the next bend in the road.  Or maybe, after the next hundred bends and twists and turns.

Whatever!

God has our backs.

He will see us through.

Always!


~

When and where has God closed a door in your life, but opened a window?

Prayer:  Father, in faith we come before You today, submitting in obedience to Your will.  Whatever may happen, Lord, we know we are Your children for whom You care immeasurably.  May our hearts and minds be focused on all that is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable in Your sight that we might shine Your love into all the world.  In Jesus' name, we pray.  Amen.

12 comments:

  1. I so loved reading this post Martha! Just few months ago I was feeling all choked up as I saw no way out from the current situation I was in. And then just like that I saw a tiny outlet which turned out to be a window in the form of a small but truly viable option.

    He is always there and will see us through. Sending hugs your way. Take care <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you had to go through a tough time, Privy, but it's so true that God always has our best interests at heart. He will never fail to guide us, and I'm so thankful for that!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  2. Martha, transitions are not easy--I'm currently working my way through one. Still waiting to see what new doors the Lord will open. I hope that you'll find time to still attend church, that is so important in our walk with the Lord, even if our level of involvement changes (perhaps a Saturday service?). Without the Lord's guidance I'd be so very lost.

    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Kim. Danny and I want to visit some other churches in our area just to satisfy our curiosity, but Kennesaw UMC is home to us. We have so many friends there, and want to maintain the connection with those we love and with God. Poor Danny has been under the weather this week, but I'm hoping he'll feel well enough to visit a church this Sunday. We already have plans to visit my mother next Sunday.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. So glad this post spoke to your heart, Martha! Yours always bring happiness to my soul.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. I can hear the grieving going on in your words. It IS hard to let go of something like this once its season is past. Sounds like you are doing the right thing at the right time though - keep focused on that. Praying for you Martha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers, Jean, they mean so much.
      Yes, you are so correct in picking up on the grieving aspect of this. I must confess, I've had a few meltdowns since we made the decision, but God has assured me that this, too, shall pass. I will stay focused on what He has in store for us.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  5. How hard it is to put your heart and soul into something and then have to give it up. But God has put a song in your heart for your parents and that takes precedence right now. I think you two made the right choice and I know God will bless your faithfulness in ways you never expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bill, this was one of the hardest choices we've ever had to make as a married couple, but it is the right one. Thanks for reminding me that "God has put a song in your heart," and I can take that song into any and all situations to which He calls us. Your encouraging words are so greatly appreciated.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. Martha, this must have been a heart-wrenching decision. And I can only imagine the grief you both feel letting go of this ministry. I can only correlate it with our decision to move away from family and friends into our mountain community four years ago. Truth be told, I still struggle with it, struggle with being here. More so than ever as I now have a granddaughter and a new daughter-in-law (in addition to my other son and his wife) added to the family tree. Fortunately, I am close enough to visit often. But as you know, those visits also involve staying with my aging mother, and that journey has a grief all its own.

    I applaud you guys for making the decision based on concerns for your mothers. Somehow I just feel that following the Fifth Commandment is a hallowed journey, even though it's one of the most difficult walks ever. God sees the steps, and honor us as we honor our parents, and Him in the process.

    There are times when I am still searching for the *window* - but I know that even if the doors AND the windows are closed, the room is still full of the Light of the Son!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, thank you so much for your comforting and encouraging words. I really needed to hear them.
      We are certainly on the same page when it comes to wanting to both be with our children/grandchildren and take care of our parents. The latter is a "hallowed journey," and one we do, though it be difficult, out of love and gratefulness.
      And yes, I so agree - the doors and windows can be shut, but the light of Jesus fills the room when we trust in Him.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...